Thursday 23 October 2014

The Final Chapter

With my Apprenticeship Graduation just around the corner, I can’t help but reflect on the year I’ve had. It all started with having little knowledge of the industry and being thrown at the deep end on my first production and ending with 4 fantastic placements, 3 credits and a lifetime of knowledge that continues to grow. Throughout the past 15 months I have worked with some of the most experienced production members in the industry and met people I never thought I would, unless I queued outside Radio 1 or The London Studios and asked for a selfie. Although if I had a picture with everyone I’ve met it would a pretty envious album, ranging from Richard Branson and Daniel Radcliffe to Paddy McGuiness and Tim Wonnacott.

The past year hasn’t exactly been the easiest of years. Being such a home girl and loving my home comforts and being practically spoon fed by mum and dad throughout my life was the perfect lifestyle, so the move to London and living in a flat with strangers was a big change. Settling in London and finding my feet has taken me almost 10 months and still haven’t fully got there with making new friends, changing work every 3 months and getting the grasp of public transport takes its time although I have a pretty good routine going on.

With work, my hours are quite unsociable and consequently making arrangements can prove difficult. Being Jewish, there are various social events that happen which I try to attend too weekly, whether this would be a talk by an influential character, Friday night dinner or Shabbat lunch hosted by the Rabbi. Attending these events allows me to meet new people, meet up with friends who I haven’t seen in a while and have a good chinwag with them all with some good fress.

In the middle of the year, my life took a sudden change and I experienced losing someone so incredibly special to me. During this period, I wished that I could live back a home and cuddle mum and dad whenever I felt down, even though they were on the other end of the phone, it never was the same. Coming back to London after having a week at home with the family was the hardest thing, however knowing I was going back into work the next day and to a job I love made it a whole lot better. Without work and being constantly busy, I would never have got through the loss. People told me that it would get easier, however I never thought the day would come, my emotions were sky high and all I could think about was being at home. At the time, my placement in London was coming to an end and an offer for Manchester was on the cards and it was so tempting, however for my careers sake I wanted to stay in London and I’m so happy that I did as I have had the best 6 months working on BBC’s biggest shows, ‘The One Show’ and ‘Strictly; It takes two’.

The thought of this apprenticeship ending is daunting as looking for work independently will raise my stress levels and endless cups of coffee will be needed. At the moment I am staying positive and open minded to the opportunities that are going to arise from either previous placements or new and exciting productions. With all the skills I have gained and the experience I have received, it will allow me to go to others productions with confidence and knowledge of the job role. I’m looking forward to seeing what the future is going to hold with my work and personal life.

In the meantime…

Stay Fabulous,
B ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment